Friday, March 27, 2009

Shame on me

*Sigh* I'm a failure in so many ways. I haven't been keeping up with this blog (oh, I had such high hopes of what a great blogger I would become), and I failed to come through with pictures documenting the cleaning of the flame-seared fridge. Which has been a wonderful addition to our home, by the way.

I guess the bottom line is my life just isn't that interesting. At least not in the day-to-day way. So I find myself struggling to find something blog-worthy. My standards for what is blog-worthy might also be too high. So many character flaws....but I'm working on them. Honest!

Recently, I've been on a big Dick Van Dyke Show kick. I found an old vhs tape with about 6 episodes on it that I vaguely remember using the remainder of a Christmas gift-card to purchase. After re-aquainting myself with the simple, laugh-out-loud and wholesome humor, I found dozens of other episodes on the site hulu.com.

I enjoy the adorable and humorous relationship between Dick Van Dyke, who plays comedy writer Robert Petry, and his tv wife, Laura Petry, played by Mary Tyler Moore. Van Dyke, always well known for his limber physical humor, has brialliant comedic timing and uses his elastic frame to create stunningly entertaining situations. Moore is the not-always-sterotypical 1960's dancer-turned-housewife, who balances out her husband's energy when necessary, but also creates her own hilarious situations. She matches Van Dyke in both comedic timing and talent.

The other strong characters are Rob's writing partners, Buddy Sorell, played by "Human joke machine" and vaudville original Morey Amsterdam, and Sally Rogers, played by Rose Marie, whose caree started at just 3 years old when her grown-up voice made her the famous "Baby Rose Marie." The show consistently allows each of the actor's other talents to be showcased in different episodes, the music, dancing and vaudville-esque mini-shows always add to the show's charm and never take away from the story.

Check out these episodes (I have to show both because they are a 2 parter of a larger story) to see what I mean:

Episode 1:




Episode 2:



I tell you, it makes me want to through an old-fashoned dinner party complete with 1960's party dress, heels, and home-grown entertainment.

1 comment:

  1. I so LOVE hulu.com. I have been watching quantum leap on my lunch breaks. Its great!

    ReplyDelete